Old 17-10-2017, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cordyline Australis not growing straight

On 10/17/2017 4:51 AM, Fulhamboy70 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve just signed up as I’m struggling to find an answer to a problem I
have with my Cordyline Australis. I have searched and can’t find
anything similar, we planted our Australis 3 years ago to go with one
that was already in the garden. It has done really well but the trunk is
quite narrow and was getting blown over in the wind so it has been
staked for the past 2 years but it has grown in an S shape.
It looks really healthy and is still growing really well, but I don’t
know what to do about straightening it out ??
Thinking back, I’m not sure I dug a deep enough hole for it when I
planted it

My photos are too big so I will resize them and post them.

Many Thanks
Dave

I am not sure about C. australis, but I have had excellent success
rooting the cutoff top of a C. fruticosa. If you want to start over,
this is something to try. As I recall, the trunk of my C. fruticosa
developed a new shoot while the top was rooting.

I would not attempt to straighten it. Irregularities in trunks and --
for other trees -- branches increases the interesting aspect.

If you insist, however, I would tie a wooden stake to the trunk above,
below, and at the bend. The stake should NOT be inserted into the
ground. It should be tied quite tight, especially at the bend. You
must then monitor the ties to make sure they do not girdle the trunk as
it grows. At the bend, you will likely not be able to tie the trunk
snug to the stake; there, you will have to gradually make the tie
tighter over time (again avoiding girdling).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see