Old 25-10-2017, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone advise about a Victoria plum tree (two issues)?

On 24/10/2017 15:11, Al_4 wrote:
Good day,

I would really appreciate some advice about the Victoria plum tree I
planted the three three years ago, which is now about 10ft-12ft tall.
There are a couple of things I'd appreciate advice on:

FRUITING HABIT: The first summer, after planting, when there were
only a few 1m branches, the tree bore a few plums. The second year
(this year), there were no blossoms and no plums. However, right now
(Oct, 2017) there seem to be a great many fruiting spurs appearing
(little pointy buds, several per every short new twig protruding from
the branches). I am therefore wondering if my tree is becoming a
bi-yearly fruiter. By the look of the number of fruiting spurs now
visible, I'd say there will be an extraordinary quantity of fruit
next year.

Question: If I nip out about half of the fruiting spurs, will this
help to put the tree back into a more desirable annual fruiting
habit? (I vaguely remember hearing advice to this effect, somewhere,
but I may be wrong.)

I'd do nothing at all by way of pruning at this early stage and
certainly nothing to a plum tree at this time of year. You can prune
shortly after flowering when the tree is in full growth. But it will
respond with vigorous whippy growth if you try too hard. Knocking some
of the smaller unwanted fruit off would be kinder. A single bad year
could just have been a late frost (which got my Nashi tree this year).

SHOT-HOLE DISEASE The tree has exhibited shot-hole disease every
year, so far. Now that I have diagnosed the issue, I plan to spray
the tree with Bordeaux mixture, once all the old leaves have dropped.

You will need to get rid of all the old leaves. I wouldn't get your
hopes up of eliminating it but you might slow it down a bit by removing
diseased leaves when you see the first signs and a copper fungicide.

My question is: how many times should I spray it, before next
spring's leaves appear, and when? And is this likely to cure it? Do
the fungal spores only live on the surface of the tree, or do they
live inside the tree, where the spray can't reach?

The main problem is the stuff is around the tree now so reinfection net
year is almost inevitable. Copper fungicide will slow it down.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown