View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Old 25-10-2017, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2017
Default Can anyone advise about a Victoria plum tree (two issues)?

On 24 Oct 2017 07:11, Al_4 wrote:
Good day,

I would really appreciate some advice about the Victoria plum tree I planted the three three years ago, which is now about 10ft-12ft tall. There are a couple of things I'd appreciate advice on:

FRUITING HABIT:
The first summer, after planting, when there were only a few 1m branches, the tree bore a few plums. The second year (this year), there were no blossoms and no plums. However, right now (Oct, 2017) there seem to be a great many fruiting spurs appearing (little pointy buds, several per every short new twig protruding from the branches). I am therefore wondering

if my tree is becoming a bi-yearly fruiter. By the look of the number of fruiting spurs now visible, I'd say there will be an extraordinary quantity of fruit next year.

Question: If I nip out about half of the fruiting spurs, will this help to put the tree back into a more desirable annual fruiting habit? (I vaguely remember hearing advice to this effect, somewhere, but I may be wrong.)

SHOT-HOLE DISEASE
The tree has exhibited shot-hole disease every year, so far. Now that I have diagnosed the issue, I plan to spray the tree with Bordeaux mixture, once all the old leaves have dropped. My question is: how many times should I spray it, before next spring's leaves appear, and when? And is this likely to cure it? Do the fungal spores only live on the surface of th

e tree, or do they live inside the tree, where the spray can't reach?

Thank you for any advice!

Al_4

Something to be aware of, there is a new pest in the UK which came from
Japan via the USA called SWD or Spotted Wing Drosophila. This fly
attacks partially ripe fruit and all soft skinned fruit are attacked
including plums, cherries, apricots, gooseberries, etc, all vine fruit,
tomatoes, you name it.
The worse thing is there appears to be nothing you can do except cover
your trees/vines completely in fleece which is a bit impractical.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden