Old 26-10-2017, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default first hard frost

On 10/26/2017 1:11 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/26/2017 12:08 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 10/26/2017 9:54 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/26/2017 8:14 AM, songbird wrote:
Â*Â* last night it was.

Â*Â* with the forecast yesterday calling for it i
went out and pulled up the lima beans and picked
off the last pods that had any depth to them.

Â*Â* the dry ones that weren't rotting from all the
rain i have finishing up in a box top, the green
ones i cooked up last night or ate them as i was
shelling.

Â*Â* today is clear and cool.Â* we're going to start
working on fixing up part of the fence along the
back today.Â* it's been smashed down by wild
grape vines and the deer are coming through there
so we need to cut away the vines and lift it
back up.

Â*Â* pretty much back to more normal weather now
instead of the high 70s we had right before the
rains came through.

Â*Â* songbird

Â*Â* We haven't had a hard frost yet , but yesterday there was ice on
the table I used to butcher the deer I shot on Monday morning .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

Our lowest temp so far was 44F yesterday morning. I've started wearing
long pants but, so far, still wearing T shirts. The dog is wanting to
get under her blanket so she is now feeling the chill.

George

So cold you could slaughter a hog:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...texas-sayings/

Yup! I'm a native Texan, born in Beaumont, TX to a Louisiana Dad and an
Oklahoma Territory Mom. They lived so long in Texas they started talking
like a real one. G Used to be a really good shot with all sorts of
firearms, bow and arrow, and even with knife throwing, nowadays I let my
grandson's go fetch the meat, with my guns. Plus I was a gunsmith for
many years as my second job, but the one that was the most fun. Patron
member of the NRA. Since the paralysis has hit my right (shooting) hand
I've taught myself to shoot left handed. I even had a western hat at one
time and some fancy cowboy boots, all gone away now. G I still shoot a
air rifle to keep some critters out of my fruit trees and the garden.
None of the critters are worth eating so the dog gets them, cooked even.

George