Old 27-10-2017, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default first hard frost

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* We haven't had a hard frost yet , but yesterday there was ice on the
table I used to butcher the deer I shot on Monday morning .

would that be ice in a glass?

want to come get some groundhogs too?

we started working on the fence, cutting
away all those wild grape vines and then ran out
and used the temporary pickup truck to get another
load of wood chips. with all the rain the place
where we pick up the chips was kinda muddy and
the guy wasn't thinking he was going to get them
but he came through.

driving back home very slowly (no tarp, big pile
didn't want to leave an obvious trail) without any
problems. i don't think we'll need any more this
year.

that was our break from working on the fence. we
get back out there to move along and we notice the
groundhogs have used other places to burrow in so
i'm sure we found the den openings and plugged them
up, but it will be interesting to see if they come
back again... so an extra hour and a half dealing
with those and we finally start unrolling the fence
and since it was actually folded we have to unbend
all the kinks. ok, yes, it was freebie fence and
very nice compared to what we had there before.

and now we find yet another spot the groundhogs
are coming through. so more work on that tomorrow
and cutting away more wild grape vines. we have a
pile of those the size of the pickup truck, too
bad we can't use those for much until they are
dried up and dead...

the deer will have an easy path tonight, but maybe
they will not come through with the changes and
fence laying on the ground and big pile of wild
grape vine.

i hope the hunters will thin the herds this year.

songbird