Old 27-10-2017, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default first hard frost

wrote:
songbird wrote:

last night it was.

This morning presented our lowest ovenight temp so far this season,
too: 47° on my front porch, with tonight's low forecast to be in the
same range. 72 this afternoon, though. I find temperatures in that
range unpleasantly cool, so I'm gardening not just fully clothed but
wearing shoes, too—not a pleasant experience but, hey.... Most years,
we don't reach freezing temps until January or February. Good thing,
too. I'd hate to have to move further south because my Spanish isn't
all that good.

mine either. i got stuck learning computer languages
instead, used up all my memorizing skills for those and
when i finally got around to trying to pick up German i
completely had no interest in it at all. brute memorizing
just isn't my forte'...

are you back to your normal routine now?

The garden wheel continues to spin. Mustard greeens, turnips,
"English" peas all loving the cooler autumn weather. The eggplants and
okra continue to produce, although, a few more 40-50° nights will take
care of that. Hoping the warm weather continues for a bit because two
varieties of snap beans, currently about 6" tall, need a bit more of
continued warm or, at least, mild temperatures. The Plan (how I do so
love a plan–doesn't even have to be a good one) is for more peas to
replace the snap beans. Cooler weather, though, allows for spinach,
carrots, and cabbage. Not gonna try any more broccoli, though. Climate
just doesn't stay sufficiently cool long enough for much besides rapini
to produce and most years it blooms early.

the best laid plans of mice and men...

i'm so tired at the moment.

picked the last pods of the scarlet runner beans which
could have used plenty more warm weather too. the pods
feel pretty squishy/empty like the beans are not very
firm so that will be another crop that didn't go great
this year for me. we can still eat them though even if
they aren't the best condition (as long as they aren't
rotting).

i'll hope the cold doesn't get too far down there. we
now have two days coming this week with forecasts of
possible snow. that's a four letter word i don't want
to hear already. it seems we've gone from summer to
winter in a week.

i have so much yet to get done before the ground thinks
about even freezing.

songbird