Old 27-10-2017, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default first hard frost

Pavel314 wrote:
We're expecting frost here in the Baltimore area tonight. My wife asked me to cover the few remaining tomato and pepper cages in hopes of getting a few more days for them. Next frost warning, we pick whatever is out there and call it a season.

i wish the peppers would hold on, but this has
been a good year for them as it is. i have plenty
in the fridge and freezer to eat up.

we've not had enough light for the past few weeks.
the tomato plants have been pulled up for a while
and the pepper plants were finished off by the frost
so they'll come out soon and get buried.

i have seven gardens to get cleaned up and ready
for winter, takes a few hours here or there to do
it. the smaller ones are easy, dig small hole,
scrape stuff in, bury. just a half hour each.
the bigger ones will take an hour or two depending
upon what else i get up to.

with a fresh truckload of woodchips and working
on the fence i think i'll be lucky to get them
done this week, but it's a good goal.

i can take out frustrations at the propane company
pounding stakes and digging... grr. like i want to
be spending time on the phone this time of the
season.

songbird