Old 29-10-2017, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Strawberries: plant up now or in the spring?

Haven't grown strawberries for a while, but hoping for a crop next
summer. I have some healthy plants taken from runners which were potted
in this autumn and are now in ~6 in square plastic pots. They are
ultimately destined for a multi-layer strawberry planter, but my
question is whether I should plant them there now, or if it would be
better to wait until next spring?

Having had such a mild autumn, they're growing fairly strongly now, but
that's probably about to change. I want them to have a good strong root
system and be ready to go next spring, which makes me think I should pot
them out now, but I don't want to encourage them to make sappy new
growth now, which makes me think I should leave well alone now.

Peter