Old 29-10-2017, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default What is making these holes in the front lawn overnight thathappen often?

On 10/29/2017 3:42 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:06:51 -0700, Ant wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/GUHwN5A.jpg from a local rural So(uthern)
CA(lifornia) house. Gophers? Deers? Dogs? Squirrels? I doubt it is the
ants even though there are Red Imported Fire and Argentine ants' mounds.

The next door neighbors' lawns don't even have this problem. What is
missing and how to stop these dig ups?

Thank you in advance.

Might be skunks. They can scrape up chunks of law looking for grubs.

https://www.spring-green.com/wp-cont...-to-a-lawn.jpg

I guess that the skunks out west might have different habits than the ones
from around here -- ours tend to dig single holes and most are nearly
conical and a few inches deep. The photo seems, to me at least, to show
long distributions of the sod. This would suggest something burrowing. Hard
to tell since the picture is at a bad angle. Taking a long sharp knife to
the sod between two humps would probably reveal something or other...