Old 02-11-2017, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Al_4 Al_4 is offline

Default Composting: Internal heat vs. ventilation...

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:22:43 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Some of each. Ash still has the mineral content but no bulk. In an ideal
world you want the heap to get upto 60-70C internally and stay there
until stuff has been digested. A mix of grass and some woody bits helps
keep things under control. A hot heap will eat quite woody prunings.

Thanks for your input, Martin. So it *was* ash! I think I'll continue with my hole-poking method after reading your reply.

Al