Old 13-11-2017, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting: Internal heat vs. ventilation...

On 02/11/2017 20:31, David wrote:
On 02/11/2017 17:50, Al_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:22:43 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Some of each. Ash still has the mineral content but no bulk. In an ideal
world you want the heap to get upto 60-70C internally and stay there
until stuff has been digested. A mix of grass and some woody bits helps
keep things under control. A hot heap will eat quite woody prunings.

Thanks for your input, Martin. So it *was* ash! I think I'll continue
with my hole-poking method after reading your reply.

Al

I'd be inclined to pour water into each hole you punch to keep the
centre of the heap moist.

With mine it is generally the surface that dries out quickest aided and
abetted by the hot interior. Steam rising on cooler mornings. I
generally spray it over with water before turning to compensate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown