Old 25-11-2017, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default Roses roses

Charlie Pridham wrote:

On 23/11/2017 00:34, brian mitchell wrote:

Hi,

I wish to grow roses, as standards and one climber/rambler. My three
top priorities are scent, scent and scent. (I can't imagine why anyone
would think it worth their while to breed a scentless rose). After
that, colour and, in the case of the climber/rambler, vigour.

Being completely ignorant about rose culture and varieties, I'd much
appreciate suggestions, expressions of favourites, and general rose
wisdom.

Thanks,

Brian Mitchell

Where are you? the type of ground and climate will determine what does
well in your area.
Some of the roses that have the best scent have the least vigour and
down here dont do well. there are also many different sorts of scents
from roses the bulk of scented ramblers smell the same as apple blossom
and tend not to be available in strong colours, while the old hybrid
teas have the scent associated with ladies perfume, and some like Rosa
bracteata smell strongly of lemons

Now you know I'm in South West Wales, and that the soil I'd describe
as a clayish loam, and well-drained because of being a terrace, would
that lead you to recommend anything in particular?