Old 28-11-2017, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's Glyphosate day at the EU

On 28/11/17 09:11, Martin wrote:

Only if somebody actually enforces it. How old is the Dutch ban?

Is it a similar "ban" as this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dr-Stahler-danadim-Progress-Universal-insectizid-20-ml/282710942827?hash=item41d2e2a46b:g:4FAAAOSwImRYdN9 0

I can't buy dimethoate in the UK, but it seems to be available in Germany.

Even Amazon.de sells it

On sale in lots of places in NL for example
https://agriking.nl/danadimr-progres...ildluizen.html
There a lot of warnings in the advert. It is on the RHS withdrawn list.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=820#section-2

Is it banned in UK? French attempts to get an EU ban have failed so far.

Not banned, but for professional use only:
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/PestReg/getfullproduct.asp?productid=27730&pageno=1&origin =prodsearch

There is a lot more info here (opens a *.doc file):
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/PestReg/getfile.asp?documentid=28271&approvalno=20152407

It seems to be the same as the product supplied in Germany, although the
authorisation holder is Danish. It's only available in large sizes (5 -
20 litres!), and there are some specific restrictions on its use for
ornamental plant production, such as "Treatment must only be made under
‘permanent protection’ situations which provide full enclosure
(including continuous top and side barriers down to below ground level)
and which are present and maintained over a number of years."

That's a bit strange when you consider it's also approved for spraying
on fields of wheat and rye!

The Dutch have banned the use of Glyphosate by everybody except commercial
growers. The ban includes local authorities and amateur gardeners. There's none
on sale in garden centres. Our local authority has tried various alternatives
first steam, then a powered mechanical flail and more recently they have been
using a large powered mechanical rotary scrubbing brush to remove weeds from
pavements and brick surfaced roads (pave)

Aren't civil servants wonderful? They'll allow the sale of something as
toxic as dimethoate, but ban the relatively harmless glyphosate. Anyway,
that powered mechanical flail just reminds me of the "Dad's Army - Round
and Round Went the Great Big Wheel" episode, although it was probably
even less defective!

--

Jeff