Old 03-12-2017, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default seed tapes

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 1:06:27 PM UTC, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

By default I germinate everything between 2 wet sheets of kitchen roll
covered with a plastic bag. Bigger seeds are easy to handle when they
sprout but carrots probably not.

For everything from peas on upwards, and even smaller seeds if they are
sown in small numbers, yes. But that's infeasible for carrots without
adopting a sowing gel solution - which I have thought of. The problem
is that the failure doesn't always occur that early - it is quite often
that they germinate but fail to establish.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Could be a PH issue with synthetic gels I suppose. Gelatin might be a safer bet