Old 03-12-2017, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting a holly hedge

On 03/12/17 08:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
PS: I forgot to mention that the old hedge will probably have depleted
the soil over the years, so dig in lots of compost when you plant the
new hedge, to re-invigorate the soil.

I want to put a mini fence there too - just a couple of foot high, to
stop dogs coming in and balls rolling out and down the hill.

I'll get a trailer of manure and stick it in once the hawthorn is down,
then fit the fence, then plant the holly. That will probably be a 2
month gap for the manure to break down and be a bit less hot on the new
plants.