Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holly flowering time

On 11/12/17 19:40, David wrote:
RHS says that holly flowers in the spring with berries in the autumn.

It used to be because plants can't read books to find out what they're
supposed to be doing. Now it's because they can't read webpages!

Our holly seems to be just coming into flower at the moment.
I think it is female (although no berries on it). Either way it seems an
odd time of year to flower.

It depends what triggers flowering. It could be maximum or minimum day
temperature, night temperature, cumulative hours below/above a certain
temperature. Or all the previous with "temperature" substituted by
something else such as hours of sunshine. Or a combination of these.

Is this just climate change?

Maybe. But it could just be a minor variation this year. I've seen some
flower buds on my hollies, while the others have been in full berry for
a couple of months.

--

Jeff