Old 27-12-2017, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growmore

I was about to buy some Growmore today when I noticed the info on the
pack stated "Westland Growmore is not recommended for use on
ericaceous/lime-hating/acid-loving plants." A closer look at the pack
info did not reveal the contents, and neither did Westland's website
(www.gardenhealth.com). A link there
(https://www.gardenhealth.com/uploads/files/Data_Sheets/150062.pdf)
led to the "Safety Data Sheet", but that too failed to reveal the contents.

So I then googled "growmore msds", and the second hit was to
https://tpprod.blob.core.windows.net/sys-master-tpprodcontainer/hd1/h2a/8859706327070/189483.pdf.
This was also a "Safety Data Sheet", but that one included possible
ingredients, one of which was calcium nitrate, and "inert fillers such
as ... limestone. That, I suppose, was the reason to avoid its use on
ericaceous plants.

What is odd is that the first "Safety Data Sheet" had an emergency
telephone number ()0870...) for the UK. The second "Safety Data Sheet"
just gave a telephone contact number of 0288... (also in the UK, as it
was prefaced 0044). Both the data sheets stated that Westland
Horticulture Ltd in County Tyrone was the manufacturer.

I wonder why there were two data sheets, ostensibly both for use in the
UK, but differing in their information? I must say that in the past I
rarely had a use for Growmore, or any other fertiliser. However, a large
beech tree in my neighbour's garden seems to be sapping whatever
goodness is in the soil in my garden near to the tree. Plants survive -
if watered - but don't exactly thrive. Clematis in particular seem to
have a very hard time. So I reckoned a sprinkling of a general
fertiliser would be a simple thing to try and might help. But as I have
some rhodos and a leucothöe growing there, it isn't /that/ simple!

--

Jeff