Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Feeding plants flies for protein using soapy water

On 12/30/2017 04:52 PM, Dan Jenkins wrote:
How does a single soap drop of "flak" incapacitate a housefly?
Do you think the dish soap is bad or good for the plants?

What is it about soapy water that knocks house flies right out of the air?
https://s10.postimg.org/t0p04p0h5/image.jpg

In case you want to know why, I use the flies to feed the plants.
https://s10.postimg.org/qw4n3mlzt/image.jpg

I'd rather not use soap (for the plants), but plain water doesn't work.
https://s10.postimg.org/gytmal1jd/image.jpg

How does a single soap drop of "flak" incapacitate a housefly?
Do you think the dish soap is bad or good for the plants?

Hi Dan,

I have a sprayer with soapy (disk soap) water that I
use to shoot down flies and nail spiders with around
the house.

insects do not have lungs. Instead their bodies are riddled
with tubes to the outside. The insects movement forces air
in and out. These tubes are too small for the surface tension
of water to penetrate.

The way soapy water works is that is lowers the surface
tension of water so that it goes down their breathing tubes.
The little buggers literally drown.

Insecticidal soap is another word for expensive dish soap,
expensive shampoo, or just plain old sodium laurel sulfate.
All the same stuff.

Soap won't hurt plants.

-T