Old 04-01-2018, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default posts for vine support

On 04/01/18 10:17, stuart noble wrote:
Based on my observations over the years, I intend to support my newly
acquired grapevine with 4" x 2" posts bedded in fine gravel. They
always rot at ground level, so maximum drainage for the first 6" or
so would seem to be the key to post longevity. Well, at least you can
yank them out easily enough when they do rot. Anyone any comments?
Metposts are not really approved of by the allotment establishment!

Have you considered cutting up an old railway sleeper and using that
instead of new wood? Some of those old sleepers, particularly those made
from exotic hardwood such as jarrah, are basically rotproof,even when
untreated.

--

Jeff