Old 22-01-2018, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Overwintering small pot/hanging basket fuchsia advice please

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

"Derek" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 10:28:39 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

I guess dryness has been the culprit in the past. Problem is, the £2
moisture probes you got in garden centres, had reliability problems. I
think
they also measured Ph.

Pick up the pot, a dry pot weighs a darn sight less, you will get to
know which ones need watering, the top can be dry, but the pot may not
need watering, as the roots have enough water.

That's a good idea. In fact I'll weigh the pot on day 1 and thereafter at
say, weekly intervals.

Thanks all for your tips and for the first time I have small indoor fuchsias
surviving the Winter.

On 6th November, I moved the 2 pots from the cold, east facing porch, onto
an indoor windowsill, which benefits from the GCH. Within 2 weeks both
plants had shed all their leaves. You are correct Derek, weighing the 2 pots
has done the trick. Every Monday I weighed each pot and topped up with water
(into the splash tray). The weekly weight loss has been 11% for both plants.

This morning I moved them temporarily back into the porch and took a pic
https://prnt.sc/i3uxdd as you see, the plant on the right, is replacing it's
leaves at a faster rate. I won't return them permanently to the porch until
say, mid March.