Old 30-01-2018, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default anybody home?

Nyssa wrote:
Help!

a fence is only thing reliable enough. 8ft
high. if you do the bottom part right you can
also cut down on rabbit and groundhog issues too.

never keep eveything out (birds, chipmunks,
squirrels, cats, raccoons, ...) but a good fence
does cut down on how much traffic you get and
that increases the odds in your favor.

raccoons pretty much ignore our fenced garden
because we do not grow sweet corn.

whatever we grow outside the fence is considered
possible deer, etc. food. some years they don't
bother things, other years they do a lot of
feeding.

some years go well, just have to be sure to
take into account that this is not a controlled
situation, between weather and animals. learning
to accept and be humble is a good exercise for
the character.

planting in different places, and decoy crops
can help. but then they may not too. last year
i tried to decoy chipmunks with sunflower seeds
they still got almost all of my edamame soybean
plants as soon as they sprouted. li'l buggers...

songbird