Old 23-04-2018, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Muggles[_5_] Muggles[_5_] is offline

Default So far so good

On 4/22/2018 9:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/22/2018 7:26 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Â* Put all my tomato seedlings in the ground yesterday using the
"posthole" method . UsedÂ* my post hole digger to make the holes , worked
great . So far , they all look pretty good , nobody is layin' on the
ground wailing for a safe place or a coloring book ... Looks like
Tuesday will be my next opportunity to plant seedlings , it got rainy .
Temps are pretty decent though , which is what helped me decide to plant
the 'maters .

Â*Â* still too cold here at night.Â* but the trend is
finally nice enough.Â* tomorrows forecast is for 70F
and sunny.Â* Tuesday rain.Â* all night-time temperatures
are above 34F for the next week for first time this
spring.Â* if i get another two weeks of gradual warming
i may risk planting some peas.

Â*Â* in all of the years of transplanting tomatoes i don't
recall losing many, if any at all.Â* they seem to be
pretty hardy plants as long as it doesn't get too cold.

Â*Â* songbird

Â* I watch the forecast closely now . One year I took it for granted the
"last frost date" was gospel . Planted based on that date and all my
tomatoes got frosted . Had to replace about a third of them with store
bought shudder seedlings . I did buy some seedlings this year , but my
source is all heirloom and minimal chemicals . On another note , I have
a partial roll of stock fencing that in conjunction with the 3 fence
posts I have left over should make a pretty nice trellis for those
greasy beans . I think this year I'm going to set up something for the
field peas to climb instead of letting them ramble all over the ground .
I still haven't got everything mapped out where what goes , gotta work
on that , make sure I still have room .

We are still rebuilding our raised beds, but almost done. One of them
fell apart, so had to move the dirt in it and build it better this time.
Thus far my husband is growing veggies via hydroponics, and he actually
has about 5 squash fruit on one plant that is growing indoors under
lights and in water. The squash bugs always end up killing our plants
before we get fruit off of it when we plant squash outside, so, maybe
we'll get to actually eat some fresh homegrown squash this year!

--
Maggie