Old 11-04-2018, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A genuine Cox's Orange Pippin

On 11/04/2018 12:35, john west wrote:
Having spent part of my childhood in Kent, i know a genuine Cox's Orange
Pippin apple when i bite into one.
A while ago we bought a so called Cox's apple tree. While it had a hint
of the Cox's flavour, it was definitely *not* the real thing.

If you buy bare root from one of the reputable tree nurseries I'd expect
that you would be able to get it. If you buy from a shed then it could
easily be a look alike that is much easier to grow in a domestic garden.

Cox's OP is more disease prone than the more modern cultivars that
incorporate most of the best features of the original old fruit.

https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/coxs-orange-pippin

You might want to get something that is less fussy about growing
conditions unless you are expert in fruit growing. Even then the scion
can be influenced by the rootstock vigour so commercial apple growers
will tend to have larger trees than make sense at home.

Mine is actually Sunset grafted onto a family tree with Egremont Russet.

Is there any way when we buy another tree that we can ensure that it is
the real Cox's we are buying?Â*Â*Â* Thanks.

I was surprised how nice a golden delicious apple could be when grown
slowly on a dwarfing rootstock and ripened on the tree. The pumped up
water flavoured supermarket things are nothing like a home grown one.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown