Old 16-04-2018, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default '60s apple tree - likely root stock?

Due to various circumstances we now have just the stump remaining of an
apple tree which was originally planted in the '60s.

I notice that there are a couple of vigorous looking shoots growing up
from the side of the stump.

I am tempted to let them grow to see what happens, but was wondering how
likely the stump is to be apple, or a rootstock such as crab.

I know that these days you get to choose dwarfing or semi-dwarfing root
stocks to limit the size of the tree to the available space but I don't
know how common this was in the '60s.

I assume the only way to be sure it to let it grow until it blossoms and
sets fruit.

I am also guessing that if the roots are still alive and functioning the
growth could be quite rapid (much the same as with coppicing).

Eating apple, and full height around 20 feet or so at a guess.

Cheers

Dave R

---