Old 21-04-2018, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hotbin composter - feedback

On 21/04/18 12:12, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
A long while ago I made some enquiries here about hot composting.

Most interesting. I might consider that for grass cuttings, which are
a right pain on a cold heap. While I currently don't compost paper
and cardboard, that doesn't mean I don't get lots of them :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just hit 70C in the heap centre - wow.

I have now filled it right up with grass, chippings, cardboard and some
unrotted crud from the top of the daleks.

The real point of interest for me will be "how fast does the volume go
down?"

I seen it said grass (my main bulk) is 80% water and once this has been
steamed off, a bin load will eventually become about 2kg of compost.

I've just cleaned up the dalek bins dug some old semi rotted wood chips
into them to help aerate and one bin is nearly usable compost.