Old 22-04-2018, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ho hoe ho

On 22/04/18 08:42, Tahiri wrote:
I am fed up of being told I am a useless gardener because I won't use a hoe
on ground elder. 'Just keep on doing it. If it can't photosynthesize it will
die.' he says. I accept that in an empty patch of ground, in a dry area, if
I had time to hoe every day, that might possibly work, even on ground elder.
However I still work five days a week and I live in relatively soggy North
Wales and the wind blows too often to use glyphosate accurately enough. I
shall continue to try and remove the ground elder from bulbs, soft friut and
herbaceous perennials by hand!
Thank you for 'listening'. I feel better for a good grumble.

You could always use glyphosate gel on specific elder plants. You also
don't have to use glyphosate as a spray - you could use it from a
watering can with a bar head. That won't be affected by wind anything
near as much as spray.

I rarely use a hoe as the flower beds are covered with several cms of
woodchip. The hoe tends to catch on the larger pieces and rise up well
above the surface, missing the weeds completely.

--

Jeff