Old 22-04-2018, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Dalek compost bin

On 22/04/2018 21:23, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having limited spaceI invested in a dalek in the autumn, which
I have been slowly filling over the winter and spring. Not
being in a hurry for compost, I'm happy to just let it get on
with it, although I shall be careful how much grass I add when
mowing starts in earnest.

As long as you mix it well with the existing contents of the bin, or
with other compostables I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of
grass cuttings.

Problem at the moment is that the bin is home to masses of tiny
flies, which fly out and land on me when I go to add anything.
The leaflet that came with the bin said "they are harmlees but
you don't want too many" and not to use pesticides!

So how do I reduce the pests?

Again I wouldn't worry too much but a layer of grass cuttings on top of
kitchen waste may/will cut them down. This time of year I have a large
container for kitchen waste and shredded paper which I only add to the
compost when cutting the grass. a layer of shredded paper cuts down the
fruit flies in the separate container.