Old 24-04-2018, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ho hoe ho

On 24/04/2018 10:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:19:01 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I tend to hit ground elder with whatever weedkiller I have going and dig
out any larger shoots with as much brittle white root as I can get. It
has all but gone apart from right at the field boundary now.

Same applies to bindweed in hedges.

With bindweed, I find that just pulling the long vines from time to
time, so that you get a good length out, weakens them and eventually
they disappear after a few years. It's not something I try and cure at
one attempt, and in broad terms I'm fairly relaxed about it.

I am too - have to be since spiny stock proof hedges are hard to weed. I
just rip off what I can get to and poison the rest. I try not to ever
let it set seed. ISTR convolvulus seed viability is almost infinite.

I actually rather like the pink and white flowers of the less vigorous
field bindweed and don't persecute it half so much.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown