Old 24-04-2018, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hotbin composter - feedback

On 21/04/2018 12:12, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

A long while ago I made some enquiries here about hot composting.

Most interesting. I might consider that for grass cuttings, which are
a right pain on a cold heap. While I currently don't compost paper
and cardboard, that doesn't mean I don't get lots of them :-(

I think it depends how much bulk you add at once rather than what they
are. I always try to put some rough prunings in with the grass cuttings
but adding a cubic metre at a time I generally get a hot compost heap
without actually doing anything special. I try never to squash it down
when adding grass and I have had the interior smouldering once or twice.

I always had trouble with grass cuttings going slimy in small amounts.
The stuff sold as Garotta will help in borderline cases by seeding the
mix with the right sort of bacteria and a bit of easy food for them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown