Old 29-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Default Dalek compost bins

I've had dalek compost bins for several years now and I don't think of them as hot composters. They become quite efficient wormeries, but they take a lot of filling.. Anything goes in including all my grass cuttings.. They are placed on a bit of garden and not aerated at the bottom, thus allowing the worms to get in. Once the worms are really active you will see lots of them inside the lid. Grass cuttings can overflow into another dalek, so any excess worms can be transferred across.
I usually leave it for about 18 months to two years before emptying it. Slower than hot composting but almost oure worm castings.