Old 29-04-2018, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing weeds by covering

In article ,
David wrote:

Remember it is a raised bed not a full garden.
After digging and preparing the ground it could be covered with Tildenet
ground cover fabric and planted through.
Other fabrics are available but I found Tildenet lasted me over 3 years
whilst a cheaper one didn't last 3 months in sunlight.

That would work for many weeds, but not all. Some will find the
planting holes very effectively and some will simply burst through.
But it also constrains you to only plants with a narrow stem or group
of stems.

If the raised bed is small enough then the soil could be taken out
seived and put back.

That doesn't help - been there, done that :-( Fragments of ground
elder and couch get through garden sieves very effectively. It's
also diabolically hard work with many soils and, even in the easier
ones, only feasible when the soil is dry. Which definitely means
not so far this year or for the predicted future. Plus even a small
bed contains a ton of soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.