Old 05-05-2018, 11:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default ryobi expand-it

On 04/05/18 20:48, Stephen wrote:
On Tue, 1 May 2018 21:35:36 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Had one a long time ago - stripped the gears in one of the attachements
(pole trimmer IIRC) because they were nasty and plastic.

That's a shame, I was looking forward to buying a new toy

Does anyone make one with metal gears or is it a case of building down
to a price/built-in obsolescence?

Dunno - but it's the same deal with kitchen mixers. Takes some research
to find one that isn't full of nylon gears and might actually "last a
lifetime" as the old Kitchen Chefs used to be advertised in the 70s.

People bitch and moan about the environment and ladfill but still go and
buy (and allow to be made) junk products that last a couple of years and
are then economic to repair.

That stripped gear in mine - the damn gear costs a few pounds at most
but when I made enquiries, the replacement would have cost nearly as
much as the whole attachment.