Old 18-05-2018, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fuchsita?

On 18/05/18 09:38, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 15/05/2018 22:46, David Rance wrote:
The rule is that, if "ch" is followed by "s" then it is pronounced "ks"
as in "sechs" (six), "wechseln" (to change). Hence a word which all
travellers in German-speaking countries will be familiar with:
"Geldwechsel"

Fascinating. She's certain her teacher, who was German, pronounced
wachsen and sechs with the guttural CH.

The pronounciation of German (as well as other aspects) varies
considerably with location. Most northern Germans can't understand
those from the alps when the latter are speaking between themselves.
After all, the same thing happens even in England.

In fact, probably anywhere the "same" language is spoken. Many years ago
I was staying in a small B&B in Vermont to see the Fall colours
(colors?). At the same B&B were a family from Oklahoma, who had a very
deep southern drawl. At breakfast the first day I could barely
understand a word they said; no doubt they had the same problem with me.
When I mentioned to the B&B owner my lack of comprehension to almost
anything they said, he commiserated and said that he also had trouble
understanding them!

--

Jeff