Old 19-05-2018, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Fuchsita?

On Fri, 18 May 2018 08:38:32 Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 15/05/2018 22:46, David Rance wrote:
The rule is that, if "ch" is followed by "s" then it is pronounced "ks"
as in "sechs" (six), "wechseln" (to change). Hence a word which all
travellers in German-speaking countries will be familiar with:
"Geldwechsel"

Fascinating. She's certain her teacher, who was German, pronounced
wachsen and sechs with the guttural CH.

The pronounciation of German (as well as other aspects) varies
considerably with location. Most northern Germans can't understand
those from the alps when the latter are speaking between themselves.
After all, the same thing happens even in England.

Well, of course! But in Germany they do have a standard pronunciation,
Hochdeutsch, in the same way that we have Queen's English. Although in
England Queen's English is now very much out of fashion (to the extent
that some regional accents are now preferred) the same is not the case
in Germany.

I have listened to various local German accents, ranging from the Mosel
down to Bavaria and into Austria and Switzerland. In fact I quite like
the Viennese accent but my friends from mid-Germany pour scorn on any
accent that is not Hochdeutsch.

I once made a video of my home town for our twin church in a town near
Frankfurt am Main. We had an Austrian girl in our church at the time and
so I got her to do the commentary. When the folks from Kelkheim heard
her accent they just laughed, which I thought was most unkind.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France