Old 19-05-2018, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do I pull it out or is it a rare flower?

On 19/05/18 19:47, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Well, I knew it was Asteraceae (Compositae in pre-decimal currency), so
it was a matter of looking through the Comps in my book of British flora
(The Illustrated Flora of GB and Northern Europe - Blamey and
Grey-Wilson). It wasn't that difficult to find, as just about all other
Asteraceae have leaves with non-smooth edges, and they are fairly wide
to some extent or other. Goat's Beard has very thin, smooth-edged leaves.

Salsify doesn't :-)

Damn. I posted too quickly. What I should have said is that's another
Tragopogon.

True, but I think the colour is a bit of a give-away. Isn't it really
just a purple Goat's Beard?

--

Jeff