Old 21-05-2018, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Ping songbird

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Just a heads-up , the Mattie Beane bush beans I planted had a
less-than-stellar germination rate . Looks like around 50-60% , so be
prepared for bare spots - I have no idea how old the seed is .

i'm just hoping for any at all to see how they do. i'm
glad to hear you got some going so perhaps between the two
of us we'll have enough seeds for next season again...

Got my
re-wire trellis up for the white greasy's today , just in time too
because they've started to run .

they'll go up quick too!

i haven't planted a thing yet. one project keeps bringing
on others (as usual) and i'm going to have to put my foot
down and say "hold on here." for a while so we can get plants
next week and start getting things in the ground. if i have
everything planted by the first week of June that's usually
good.

Spent most of the day building a new
chicken run ... we ran across someone who is selling some chicken of the
breed my wife wants , so we're getting back in the chicken owner's club .

i got the largest wall of the shed mostly done with tile
(other than cuts along the bottom and one edge). hope to
finish the other walls tomorrow, we'll see... i'm trying
to keep the rainy day projects so i can do other things
outside, but as of yet, the rains have been enough to keep
the ground too wet for some of the deeper digging i need
to do.

at least i got most of the spring whitlow-grass weeded
and found out the other day that the seed pods i thought
had a single seed in them really had 20-50 very tiny seeds
in them instead. which explains how it spreads so easily.
i kinda like it. a very tiny and harmless plant... early
spring insects find it very useful when not much else is
blooming yet. i'll bet the bucket of weeds i took out of
the one garden (of 15x15ft) had several million seeds in
there...

that's pretty much all i've gotten done the past few
weeks besides some very simple other weeding (a few minutes)
and some digging in of ashes (i still have buckets to use
up).

looks like a mixed bag again this week for weather, but
i hope i can get the fencing and poles picked up the next
few days so i have that on hand for when i get other things
done and have enough time to do it.

songbird