Old 22-05-2018, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anthracnose on my vines!

On 21/05/18 20:54, David Rance wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 21/05/18 16:41, David Rance wrote:
Can anyone tell me if Mancozeb or Captan are still available or have
they been banned by the EU?
For the first time I seem to have a bad infection of anthracnose on
my
vines. Advice on treatment seems contradictory. Some say that sulphur
treatments work, others say they don't! Today I've sprayed with Bordeaux
Mixture but I'm not convinced of its efficacy.
David

Neither mancozeb nor captan are approved for home use.

But I always used Dithane which is 70% Mancozeb (according to the empty
packet I have here).

Bordeaux Mixture is also not approved (was it an old container you
use?),

Bordeaux Mixture is still readily available here in France.

I forgot that you were in France. Of course, the French have always
interpreted EU law to suit themselves. I think you will find that
Bordeaux Mixture is not approved in the EU for *amateur* use. But it
still may be for professional growers, and I understand that there are a
few of those growing vines in France. When you say "readily available",
do you mean that in the sense of what we would call a garden centre (or
maybe supermarket) here, or is it an agricultural merchant selling in
larger quantities?

If you want to check whether a product is approved or not for home use,
you can search he
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/prodsearch.asp

Thanks. I'll try that.

IIRC there are additional databases you can search for approved
products/actives for professional growers.

--

Jeff