Old 23-05-2018, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anthracnose on my vines!

On 23/05/18 08:26, Martin Brown wrote:

Simplest way out is research the ingredients for the classic copper
based fungicides and buy the ingredients on Amazon or eBay. Amazing what
you can get online these days even if the suggestions for what else to
buy are somewhat disturbing. I bought some fairly strong peroxide to
bleach something recently and it suggested acetone to go with it!

The strongest hydrogen peroxide generally available is 12%. It used to
be 30%, but this was the strength used to make acetone peroxide. I am
pleased to say that it is illegal to supply hydrogen peroxide over 12%
to the general public.

Hydrogen peroxide does have a couple of uses for gardening. Firstly, as
a disinfectant. Secondly, as an aid to break the dormancy of some
recalcitrant seeds.

It would be possible to make your own "Bordeaux Mixture" from its
ingredient parts, but using it after 31 January next year would be
illegal in the eyes of the EU (unless they extend the "grace" period
again!). Actually, it would probably be illegal to use it now as its
manufacture and quality control would not have been approved.

--

Jeff