Old 25-05-2018, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Mowing - to mulch or not to mulch?

On 25/05/2018 10:29, wrote:
We have three areas of lawn and generate a *lot* of grass cuttings,
disposing of them is always a problem so I'm wondering whether to start
mulching rather than collecting.
What are the downsides and upsides of mulching?
Can mulching be used on a "formal" striped lawn?

I wouldn't call our grass 'formal' (no stripes!) - but I do mulch all of
it - about 1.5 acres. Ride-on has a pair of mulching blades - no
grass-boxes to empty.

Downsides - grass needs to be fairly dry, and reasonably short to mulch
effectively - tend to mow every 7 days. I'm in the far south-west of
Ireland - we get a lot of rain, and the grass grows quickly...