Old 25-05-2018, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mowing - to mulch or not to mulch?

On 25/05/2018 10:29, wrote:
We have three areas of lawn and generate a *lot* of grass cuttings,
disposing of them is always a problem so I'm wondering whether to start
mulching rather than collecting.

How much is a lot? I don't have a problem adding them to a hot heap
provided that I put a few shrubby prunings in at the same time. Adding
about 1m^3 at a time works for me and the heap goes hot within 2-3 days.
I have had it smouldering before now but normally it tops out at 70C.

Small amounts added weekly invariably end up as green slime.

What are the downsides and upsides of mulching?

No need to collect the grass or empty the grass box.
But short cut grass blades will get everywhere and on shoes when wet.

Can mulching be used on a "formal" striped lawn?

Not very convincingly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown