Old 25-05-2018, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Mowing - to mulch or not to mulch?

alan_m wrote:
On 25/05/2018 10:41, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 25/05/2018 10:29, wrote:
We have three areas of lawn and generate a *lot* of grass cuttings,
disposing of them is always a problem so I'm wondering whether to
start mulching rather than collecting.
What are the downsides and upsides of mulching?
Can mulching be used on a "formal" striped lawn?

I wouldn't call our grass 'formal' (no stripes!) - but I do mulch all of
it - about 1.5 acres. Ride-on has a pair of mulching blades - no
grass-boxes to empty.

Downsides - grass needs to be fairly dry, and reasonably short to mulch
effectively - tend to mow every 7 days. I'm in the far south-west of
Ireland - we get a lot of rain, and the grass grows quickly...

If wet, mulched grass sticks to your shoes when walking on it and then
you walk the grass cuttings into the house.

Not our experience. We had a non-mulching Kubota which didn't collect
grass and when we'd used that there was always grass in the house.
We've just got a Stiga 'out-front' mower with a mulching deck and now
there is no grass inthe house after mowing. If mulching works well the
small cuttings drop down 'into' the lawn.

--
Chris Green
ยท