Old 25-05-2018, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic Grenhouse

On 25/05/18 14:27, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I am wondering about a mini-greenhouse to grow tomatoes in, but
most of them seem to be green plastic - why? Is it better than
clear, or stringer or what?

No idea. IMHO and experience they will last a year, maybe two if you're
lucky, before starting to fall apart through UV or other damage (even if
supposedly UV stabilised).

The other problem is that they are so light they will get damaged by
high winds. By that I mean the supporting metal rods, which are usually
remarkably thin, will bend easily.

I have used a polycarbonate-clad greenhouse
(https://norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/ultimate-greenhouses/) and found it
very good indeed. It was much cheaper than a glass one, and had lasted
over 5 years when we moved and I decided to leave it.

--

Jeff