Old 30-05-2018, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Washington Hawthorn

My 25 year old Washington Hawthorn is now in full bloom, the aroma is
delicious.... a very neat growth habit and ofers wonderful dense shade
for a rather small tree... about 20' wide X 20' high. Anyone looking
for a compact tree for a small property this is 'it'! Only negative
are its dangerous thorns, however I've never had to reach up into it,
never needs pruning... not a tree for kids to climb. Hawthorne used
to be used for enclosing livestock before the invention of barbed
wire. Soon those Canada geese in the back will be resting in its
shade. Had I known I would like it so much I would have planted two.
It was a 5-6 year old sapling when I planted it 16 years ago. was not
inexpensive, cost $200 but I feel well worth it. Make sure your plant
nursery guarantees it's a Washington Hawthorne. There are several
varieties of hawthorn most of which are a large bush/shrub rather than
a tree.
https://postimg.cc/image/60a0qabxz/