Old 01-06-2018, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Rainwater

In article ,
lid says...

On 31/05/18 10:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I have installed a water butt to collect the rain water from a
flat felted roof over the garage. (Only place I could get to a
downpipe that would not obstruct access).

Now the butt is full, water coming out quite yellowish, so I am
concerned that may be roof felt may contain things harmful to
plant - particularly in my case orchids.

Any one know?

I can't see roof felt being responsible for the colour. Is it a true
water butt, or is it a "recycled" bulk container? Could it have
contained something which is strongly yellow (eg concentrated orange
juice, or is it possible that the yellow colour is from tree pollen,
which has been at its peak for the last week or three, has landed on the
roof, and been washed in by the rain?

If you are concerned that there might be something nasty in the water,
you could always empty the butt and allow it to refill. Or perhaps add
some charcoal to the butt. Charcoal is pretty good at absorbing things
from water.

It is a green plasticy type thing, not recycled, bought new.

Don't really want to empty it now, especially if we have a good
summer. Might try the charcoal.

Thanks

--
Roger T