Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default Something biting stems of plants

In message , David
writes
I have some Cosmos grown from seed and now planted out.

Each night another one or two are being bitten off around 4-5" off the
ground and most of the leaves on the fallen bit left uneaten.

I am trying to puzzle out what is doing this.

I have a wildlife camera but pointed it at the wrong area last night (too
much down angle). I will try again tonight.

However I'm struggling with the logic of something snipping off the top of
the plant but then not eating it.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Dave R

The obvious likely answer is 'slugs'. They might simply enjoy the juicy
stems more than the chewy leaves. A few slug pellets (and the resulting
corpses in the morning) should confirm this.

Or ants, and ant powder?
--
Ian