Old 02-06-2018, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default Something biting stems of plants

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , David writes
I have some Cosmos grown from seed and now planted out.

Each night another one or two are being bitten off around 4-5" off the
ground and most of the leaves on the fallen bit left uneaten.

I am trying to puzzle out what is doing this.

I have a wildlife camera but pointed it at the wrong area last night (too
much down angle). I will try again tonight.

However I'm struggling with the logic of something snipping off the top of
the plant but then not eating it.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Dave R

The obvious likely answer is 'slugs'. They might simply enjoy the juicy stems more than
the chewy leaves. A few slug pellets (and the resulting corpses in the morning) should
confirm this.

Or ants, and ant powder?

My gues would be mice, ofter have trouble with mice nipping off young
brassica plants hardening off and this year the same thing has happened
to my giant carrots, know it was mice as I have caught six of the b******
this year!

Phil

---