Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default petrol lawn mower recommendations?

On 02/06/2018 11:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :

Or it could just be very tough grass and never throughly dries out. We
have a few inches of soil, under which is very heavy clay. It used to
flood in heavy rain, but I put in lots of drainage to try to help
prevent it. It usually needs a week of dry warm weather, even in the
summer, before it is fit to try to cut it - so sometimes it just has
to be left uncut. The first cut of 2018 was very delayed by the wet
weather.

..and just to confirm it is not just me...

We are away in the caravan in a three acre field. When we arrived the
farmer had just given up on trying to mow it, because his full size
tractor / mower was constantly choking up with cuttings.

Strange - the farmer who has the fields adjacent to my garden has no
such difficultly cutting many tens of acres. First silage cut was last
week on long grass left to dry for a couple of days and when the
moisture content was right baled and wrapped into silage.

Perhaps the difference is in knowing *when* and *how* to cut the grass
and the right tools and height settings to use.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown