Old 06-06-2018, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Blue Spruce Going Brown

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 22:20:57 +0100, Sandman1600
wrote:

Hi,

We have a tree that my parents bought for us when we moved into our
home. We think its a blue spruce.

However in the last few months the lower, inner branches are turning
brown and crisp. I've attached some photos. There is new growth on the
end of the branches.

We're desperate not to lose this tree so I'd really appreciate an
opinion.

Thank you.
Steve

|Filename: IMG_1598.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16661|
|Filename: IMG_1593.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16662|

The pics look like some critter (deer) peed on it. Deer won't dine on
spruce unless they are starving, but if all else is covered with deep
snow they will forage on sharp spikey spruce needles. Does will pee
on spruce trees. I have many spruce trees, I see damage like yours
often. I'ts not a disease, it's pee... ignore it and the tree will
heal itself. Truth is does will get ****ed that they need to eat
spruce and so will get even by peeing on them. Many critter do
likewise, anyone who has cats as pets knows that they will
occasionally do their business just outside their litter pan, they are
****ed about something, probably that the pan is not cleaned and want
you to know it.