Old 06-06-2018, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Blue Spruce Going Brown

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:16:32 +0100, Sandman1600
wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

We’re just outside a city though and there’s no deer anywhere round
here. We get foxes and cats but little else.

This browning is mainly on the inner, lower part of the tree which I
wouldn’t have said was easily accessible for foxes or cats though.
There’s another plant around the base of it which makes it even harder
for them to access.

We had really cold temperatures and heavy snow earlier in the year if
that could be a factor?

It’s also planted in a relatively shallow bed of soil... about 2 to 3
feet.

My main concern is that it’s disease or something else that needs
treating to halt it.

Thanks again.

Spruce doesn't like wet soil, if it's in a low spot that stays wet for
extended periods that could be the problem.