Old 07-06-2018, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coffee grounds and slugs

On 05/06/2018 09:53, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 09:01:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Chris

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

Pity they aren't including wood ash in the trial. When we had a
woodstove I used to put a circle of the fine ash round individual
brassicas and in rows between the strawberries, which seemed to work
well.

Woodash is quite caustic so I am not surprised the slugs didn't like it.
Potash was the old name for it. Nice source of potassium.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown